As most of us know or are coming to know is the the Health benefits of Cannabis Sativa and Cannabis Indica (as they are scientifically categorized) are being heralded over the last 7 years or so. As a whole more and more people are really taking the time to recognize and understand this phenomenal plant.
Consumption of Cannabis has definitely changed over time, you can of course smoke it, but few of us are aware that this plant is really a SUPERFOOD akin to Kale, Spinach, or Collard Greens. Cannabis can be used in Smoothies, Salads and salad dressing, sauces and even pesto. And don’t forget Juicing! The nutritional benefits of consuming the plant in is RAW unprocessed form include
- Vitamin C- A powerful antioxidant that aides in the formation of Collagen and Connective tissue, Immune function and wound healing.
- Vitamin K- Strengthens bones and aides in blood clotting
- Folate- A form of B9 that the body needs to create and repair DNA, and is vital nutritionally before during and after pregnancy.
- Iron- A nutrient of concern for young children women who are pregnant or of child bearing age. Iron promotes energy production, Immune function, growth and development, Red blood cell formation, reproduction and wound healing.
- Calcium- A nutrient of concern for most Americans. Calcium is necessary to bone and tooth health, blood vessel function, hormone secretion and Nervous system function.
- Fiber- Essential for proper digestive health and weight loss.
One additional bit of information is that ingesting Raw cannabis not only provides these much needed benefits, the psychoactive “High” effect obtained from smoking does not happen with fresh plant consumption.
Generally when Cannabis is harvested the plant is trimmed, dried and cured which leads to a significant chemical transformation. As the plant ages chemical compounds concentrated in the trichome resin glands of the plant start to degrade, a process called Decarboxylation where in producing the psychoactive THC compound. Which is why recreational use focuses on Smoking, Vaping or cooking with fats so enticing.
The effect of THC is still largely misunderstood (primarily due to lack of clinical research within the United States) however there are initial research conclusions that have shown that THC
- Slows the progression of Alzheimer’s disease by slowing the formation of Amyloid plaque which kills brain cells and is thus the Root cause of Alzheimer’s, by blocking the brain enzyme that makes them.
- Smoking is also attributed to Improving lung function according to researchers writing in the Journal of the American Medical Association. The big drags taken by weed smokers can increase efficiency beyond that of both cigarette smokers and non-smokers.
- Recently the U.S. Government admitted that “Cannabis has been shown to KILL cancer cells in laboratory tests” all the while still cautioning the lack of evidence to substantiate inhaling or ingestion of Cannabis.
Cannabis has also been lowded for its effects in treating opioid addiction by helping patients with withdrawal symptoms and enabling the person to successfully complete the rehabilitation process according to researchers at Columbia University who studied patients undergoing addiction treatment.
We still have a great deal to uncover about this incredible herb and I hope soon we will have the ability to determine even more conclusive evidence about its whole body benefits