As more people are learning, acknowledging and utilizing Marijuana as opposed to the highly addictive prescription pain medications currently hawked by big Pharma the question of using Cannabis is being explored on a much grander scale.
Like any type of remedy the ailment determines the course of treatment. Pain can encompass an enormous list of causes from a simple headache to Chronic inflammation to Fibromyalgia. Over the years studies have shown people do achieve pain relief with Marijuana. Talk with your MMJ Doctor and your Bud Tender regarding what you are experiencing, this will enable them to offer suggestions of the best strain(s) for you to try and lead you to what works best to relieve Your pain.
Additionally one needs to consider effects of the primary form of Cannabis utilized. Cannabis has two primary efficacy traits CBD-cannabinoids- does not cause the ‘high’ feeling and are
- Anti-depressant: It combats both anxiety and depression
- Anticonvulsant: It suppresses seizure activity
- Anti-psychotic: It combats psychosis
- Nero protective: protects neurons in the brain
- Antiemetic: Reduces nausea and vomitting
- Anti-inflammatory: Combats inflammation and pain
- Anti-tumor: It combats tumor and cancer cells
CBD while still being studied has thus far not demonstrated any immediate or long term side effects meaning they are minimal or non existent. Also CBD has shown it is non-toxic so there is no risk of overdose.
The second is THC-tetrahydrocannabinol- the psychoactive compound that has made the plant both illegal and famous over time. However much less commonly discussed are the beneficial effects THC possesses that CBD does not. For example THC can work as a sleep aid whereas CBD may have the exact opposite result. THC benefits are
- Analgesic: It relieves pain and inflammation
- Relaxation: It creates a state of relaxation
- Euphoria: It can lift mood and create a feeling of well being
- Drowsiness: It induces sleep
- Appetite stimulant: creating an urge to eat
A combination of the two CBD and THC can benefit a person by combining THC’s analgesic properties with CBD’s anti-inflammatory capabilities which can be just the ticket to chronic pain management.
Best advise is to educate yourself and don’t be afraid to test the various avenues to find your best treatment plan.